Monday 19 August 2013

Hollywood Assassins EP artwork

Ink sketched by hand, coloured/edited in Photoshop and Illustrator
Aug 2013


Following on from the album cover below came this cover for another six recorded tracks. It had to be done quickly - like within six hours from initial idea to finished product - and I think that shows a bit, especially on the shading on her jeans. If I'd had time I would have liked to fix the texture there - I'm still not great with Photoshop but I can think of two ways I could have improved the texture and I suppose that's some kind of progress.

My initial idea definitely had the skull in it, but was something more like a classic Hamlet pose (only with a 50s-styled female protagonist for the sake of consistency with the album). I then saw - on my teenage cousin's Facebook, if you can believe it - this great publicity still for Hannibal, which I really liked. I sketched some stuff but it wasn't great. AND THEN I happened upon a great vintage photo of a little girl bowling and thought, hmmm...

It took a long time to frame it right, because it's pretty difficult to arrange a believable 'bowling hand' and a decent skull in conjunction with each other - you just can't get a great angle on either because all the fun stuff that makes the skull a recognisable symbol is hidden under the palm of the hand. Maybe that's why when I searched the phrase 'Skull being used as a bowling ball' there were no images at all like the image I ended up making. So I suppose that's kind of positive actually.

Anyway - overall it's not too bad. The whole retro 50s thing around bowling fits the band image really well, the ridiculousness of the situation means it's got a mix of mischief and the macabre, and the colours are quite attractive. If there'd been more time... but I'll stop being negative now. I think my favourite part of all is the stitched-looking logo - it was a new technique for me and while it could certainly be refined for future use, it doesn't look too bad.

Find the band here and the EP on Amazon, iTunes and 7digital.

No comments:

Post a Comment